Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Practical class on 13 May

Hey,
This time our menu is
DUCK!! =)

My dish was
Roasted Duck with Pilaf Rice,
Accomodated with Braised Cabbage, Stuffed Mushroom and Caramelised Mango,
With Gastrique Sauce
Here it is..Honestly, i really failed this time
cuz i din even cut up d duck piece

I learnt alot on this day
My pilaf rice was really successful and it was my 3rd time making it in my life
I did research on how 2 make stuffed mushroom
Did it correctly
Only that d mushroom used was not suitable

Unfortunately..=(
D caramelised mango was not at all close 2 correct
It was more like harden caramel with mango
D braised cabbage has lost it's colour according to chef
D duck should be cut
Finally the gastrique sauce was not quite successful as i was rushing

Few things i made clear:

To caramelise mango
  1. Melt d sugar, not until it's brown, only until liquid
  2. Put in d mango then take it out nicely
  3. Sugar is jus acting as a coat for shine
Gastrique sauce
  1. Should be orange-y
  2. Do it like flambe style
  3. Melting d sugar 1st then add vinegar and orange juice
  4. Testure should be slightly thick like flambe sauce

Also, d bloopers :
I wanted 2 make a harden decorated caramel thingy
but
i burnt my hand instead..
Happen when i lift d caramel up with my spoon and it dripped on my baby finger
Resulting it to grow a huge ball for a few days

Now,
for d pretty presentation
Yinying's, always nice (I have alot 2 learn form her)
Carmen's,nice but chef said portion too big =(
But i still like it =)

Overall, every1 did better than d 1st class
(",)/

No comments:

Post a Comment